Thursday, June 17, 2010

Okie Oil Change....

So I went to Jiffy Lube yesterday to get an oil change and have them check on fluids and such before I go on a road trip this weekend.

I'll be honest, I've never taken care of car maintenance myself. My Grandad has taken care of all of my families cars for my entire life. So I chartered unknown territory as I drove onto their lot.

Then my patience was put to the test when the mechanic kept coming in with things he needed to change and this and that. I'm no fool. I knew this guy was trying to take advantage of this seemingly unaware young, little, dumb blonde as he told me of the costs included with all the repairs he was recommending.

I called my mother and was promptly put on the phone with my Grandfather whom asks to speak to the mechanic. They exchanged words about the extent of work he was to do on my car. He informed the mechanic that I came in for an oil change and that's all, and that he would have his trusted mechanic handle everything else when I was next in Tulsa.

He backed down and said ok to it all. And I thought all was well.

The line was crossed when he came in to start the payment process and said, " Alright young lady, let's see what we got here. By the way, how old are you?"

I just stared at him and finally said, "Now what does that have to do with anything?" He responded "Er, um, nothing, your grandpa just kinda got onto me there."

That was totally out of my character to respond in such a way but I was just so angry with being treated that way. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Hopefully he'll think twice before he treats another young lady like a dumb child with daddy's credit card.

9 comments:

  1. Bravo for standing up for your r9ights! It scares me that I'm old enough to be your Gandpa, but good for him and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you! I'm proud of myself too! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and don't worry, Dr. Clark, you're in your prime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have asked to talk to a manager at that point. That is inappropriate and you were pretty much liable to sue him, he was being exceptionally sexist. I'd say, never go back to Jiffy Lube.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I hate going to Jiffy Lube they bother you about EVERYTHING!!!!!
    They took me out to my car one time to show me how bad my engine looked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I HATE doing anything to my car by myself because they ALWAYS try and take advantage of young girls who they know don't really know what they're talking about!! It is SO frustrating! I have done it once and got charged WAY too much..but I didn't know what it normally was so I just paid...so needless to say I just let my dad handle everything now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't go to Jiffy Lube. There's better oil change places around here.
    The best thing you can do (besides do it yourself) is go in there with a bit of knowledge. Look in the maintenance section of your car owners manual and it will tell you the oil it needs and capacity. Then go into the place and ask "How much for 5 quarts of 5w30 and a filter?" Decline synthetic if you get your oil changes on time. They'll be on notice to not mess with ya. Everything else like pcv valves and such aren't critical & can wait, despite what they say (besides, they're $3 at Autozone & take 30 sec to do yourself).
    I'm a car junky. I almost did my blog with a car theme. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen! I hate when that happens!! People mistake me for a twelve year old sometimes. I got kicked out of a bar once and told that I couldn't just come in because my parents were there!! Can you believe it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you took a stand! Men at these auto repair and maintenence shops try to take advantage of you because you are a woman...that's ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete